Mimi's Alcove

Mimi's Alcove

Tuesday 21 August 2012

Fine china 101

To begin with, it’s actually a fancier name of Porcelain, but with differing fineness of
artwork, gilt and decoration, you can see why some are deemed ‘Fine China’ more than
others.

The term was derived from the fact that it was first exported from China to the European
countries in the 15 century and the nobles there were entranced by their beauty. This
trend grew over the centuries and to put it shortly, the other countries started to produce
their own. Hence, you get ‘English China’, ‘French China’, etc.

While I’m not a fan of the traditional ‘Chinese China’ (My, that does sound strange!),
I do love the pretty and delicate designs found on the Japanese and English ones. The
beautiful floral patterns with tasteful gilding are always a visual treat!

When I saw this piece, my eyes…rested.

Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment